Wednesday 23 October 2013

1930's Knitting - Miss Lemon's Bow Jumper

Exciting post for you all today!

Tonight sees the return to our screens here in Blighty of the very last season of the simply amazing Agatha Christie's Poirot!  There will be only four episodes and I must confess I feel a bit weepy about it all coming to an end, It has been a part of my life since before I can remember! One thing that may cheer many, me included, is the welcome return to the cast of Capt. Hastings, Inspector Japp and more importantly for us ladies who lust after vintage, the stylish Miss Lemon.

Much of her wardrobe has made me drool over the years, but if there is one item that has made not just me weak at the knees it is her Red Bow Sweater from 1989's The Adventure of the Clapham Cook. Just look!!

(Image Source)
Its not only Miss Lemon who has donned this jumper, it has also been sported by Marion Cotillard as Edith Piaff in 2007's La vie en rose...

(Image Source)
and if that's not enough its has even been used in another Poirot episode 'A Cat Among the Pigeons' from 2009, this time modelled by Natasha Little as Ann Shapland...

(Image Source)
I have to say this is a pattern I have lusted over, dreamt about, and even blogged about over the years. I even tried to create my own version which never got past the rough pattern phase (I could not decide what stitch pattern to use) so imagine my utter delight when I stumbled upon the below pattern on Ravelry last week, my jaw hit the floor!


Miss Lemon's Bow Jumper
(Bust 38" Pattern has quite a bit of negative ease so will fit larger)

This pattern was kindly created by the very talented Suna from Vintage Granny.

Isn't it just perfection! So with the new Poriot starting what better time could there be to make your own Miss Lemon Bow Jumper! Suna's version captures the original jumper perfectly, and was designed by using original 30's patterns which gives it an even more authentic 30's style, its sure to make a statement!

4 comments:

  1. Amazing! I am so looking forward to new Poirot too, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for including my Miss Lemon jumper in the Vintage Pattern Files :) I really do hope others out there will decide to give it a go, and I'd love to see the finished versions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome its adorable! I will finally starting my own in the new year, once I get through all the other things that need finishing!

      Delete
  3. Yay Wendy! I've been trying to remember which episode this sweater is from. I'm knitting my own version of this & needed to watch the show for some more inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

This is an ongoing project and I welcome any help or suggestions that you can give, so please feel free to leave a comment or a suggestion for a pattern link, all help will always be credited and very much appreciated :-) Spam will be deleted!